Thursday, December 14, 2006

THE SHEPHERD OF OLD

The prayer/devotion is based on Micah 5:1-5

We are a people who are under siege by the enemy. He desires to destroy us, to take us captive, and to bring shame to Your Name, O God.
But from of old, from ancient days You have come. Lord Jesus, You stand firm for us. You shepherd us as you feed, protect, and lead your sheep. You lead in the strength of the Lord and in the majesty of His name for you are God. You are our peace.
Grant us, Lord, grace and strength to withstand the siege of the enemy. O Lord, that we would stand firm in You. Let us be submissive sheep. Let us receive our daily bread from Your hand. Let us remain fast under Your protection. Let us follow Your wise leading with grace and humble heart. In the name of Our Great Shepherd. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You wear your heart on your sleeve for our Lord God Almighty Pastor Sloan. Your prayers as of late have blessed me. I was reading Tozer's - "The Knowledge of the Holy" on the attributes of God. Tozer wants us to hold tightly to an accurate view of God. "What is God like?" asks the Church. "Low views of God destroy the gospel for all who hold them." How intimate are we with our Shepherd? Tozer tells us that an accurate understanding of God flows first from faith in God and the accuracy of His word. To know the Shepherd you need to be in the Word and under the Word. Once when reading about shepherds I learned that if a young sheep keeps straying from the flock the shepherd will actually break the leg of the lamb and then carry that lamb on his shoulders until the broken leg is healed. A bond forms between the shepherd and that lamb. How many times has my Shepherd carried me? How many times have I received daily bread from His hand and not realized it? What love is this? Amazing love! We must be submissive sheep or we get our legs broken by the world. Pastor Mark said last Sunday, "Christmas did not begin with the birth of Jesus but it began at Calvary" Jesus the Good Shepherd laid down his life for the sheep (John 10:11,15) All men are not the sheep of Christ. The Good Shepherd says that His sheep know Him (John 10:14) He told the Jews in John 10:26 "but you do not believe because you are not my sheep." Whether one is of Christ's sheep is the Father's decision, John 6:37, 8:47, not the sheep's. Right now I am humming in my head, "Amazing love, how can it be?, That You, my King would die for me? Amazing love, I know it's true. It's my joy to honor You, In all I do, I honor You." Thanks Pastor Sloan for putting a song in my heart and for honoring Our Good Shepherd. Because of Calvary, Merry Christmas to you and yours!