Tuesday, December 19, 2006

FEEDING AND KILLING

A devotional prayer based on Matthew 5:29-30; Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 4:17-32

Lord God I need your grace. I find myself feeding what I ought to kill, and killing what I ought to feed, loving what I ought to despise, and despising what I ought to love.

I am to crucify the flesh with its sinful desires. I am to flee immorality. I am to put off all iniquity and the sin which so easily entangles. I am to pluck out the eye and cut off the hand that causes me to sin. But yet I let sinfulness remain alive in me. What is worse, I feed it, I fuel it, and I give it life. I do not cast it aside, but put it on.

Still worse than this, as I give Satan a foothold and remain chained to sin's enslavement, I kill righteousness and holiness. I ought to feed it, to fuel it, to give it life. O Lord, that I would feed righteousness and holiness with the same passion and vigor that I once, and still often, pursue wickedness. Give me the strong desire to seek Your kingdom and righteousness, just a deer pants for water, and an infant craves milk.

Make me into a fighter, not a quitter. Make me into a worker, not a slacker. Make me into a lover of Your ways, not a lover of sin. To the glory of God and in the name of the savior. Amen

No comments: