Thursday, April 12, 2007

PSALM 4 DEVOTION

Psalm 4:1-8 (ESV)
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have given me relief when I was in distress.
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
[2] O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah
[3] But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him.
[4] Be angry, and do not sin;
ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah
[5] Offer right sacrifices,
and put your trust in the Lord.
[6] There are many who say, "Who will show us some good?
Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!"
[7] You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and wine abound.
[8] In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Once again we read from David a Psalm during times of trouble. A cry to “God of my righteousness” asking for relief and vindication. David knows of the trustworthiness of the Lord from his own experience “You have given me relief when I was in distress.” He remembers God’s faithfulness and his responsibilities.

In verse 3, David reminds us of one of the great truths of Scriptures - “the Lord has set apart the godly for himself.” When this truth is rightly understood, it becomes easier to do those things David speaks.

When we understand that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself, it makes sense that he would hear us as we call. In times of trouble and anger over situations around us, we will be still and not sin, not acting out, but trust in the Lord.

When we understand that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself, we would expect him to put joy in our hearts, and more joy than the world can muster with its worldly ways of producing joy. So many look for escape to worldly methods of soothing their hearts and lives when they are in distress. We turn to things that satisfy the senses when we ought to turn to those things that satisfy the soul. Why would we, the godly, the people set apart for God, do this when we have the ultimate source of joy and peace as our Father and our Protector. We are able to lie down in peace as well, because the godly are for him and He makes them dwell safely.

As we approach the Lord in our times of fear and desperation, let us remember that even in these times, we have been set apart by God for Himself. That even in the darkest of hours, it is still His pleasure and purposes that are being accomplished in, with, and through us. So let us cry to Him, trust Him, rest in Him, and take our joy in Him which is far greater than the joy of the world. Let us be completely settled under His wing.

No comments: