Thursday, April 05, 2007

Psalm 3 Devotion

Psalm 3:1-8 (ESV)

A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.
O Lord, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me;
[2] many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God. Selah
[3] But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.
[4] I cried aloud to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
[5] I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
[6] I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around.
[7] Arise, O Lord! Save me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked.
[8] Salvation belongs to the Lord; your blessing be on your people! Selah

This Psalm is given the preface A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son. David’s family has a long and strange history. The account of this can be found in 2 Samuel 13-18. This issue begins with David’s son Amnon lusting after Absalom’s sister Tamar. Amnon uses deceit and is able violate her. Absalom finds out about it, as does David. Both are angry. Two years later, Absalom plots and has Amnon killed. King David finds out and Absalom is forced to flee. He remains gone for 3 years, then Absalom returns to Jerusalem but is not allowed to be in the King’s presence for another 2 years. After their supposed reconciliation, Absalom “stole the hearts of the men of Israel.” (2 Samuel 15:6) Four years later, Absalom proclaims himself to be King and David is forced to flee. This is when David pens this Psalm.

The first two verses have David surveying the landscape. He has enemies, which is something that he is familiar with from King Saul. These enemies think that God will not help him which is why David says in verse 2 “many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God.” But David knows better.

David pleads to God first as his recognized defender and sustainer. God is the one who protects him from the enemy’s hand. He hears his cries in this hour of need. David realizes that even waking up in the morning is a gift of God’s gracious provision.

David also realizes that God is the source of his victory. Deuteronomy 32:35 says “Vengeance is mine, and recompense.”

What ought we pray for?

1) That we would seek our protection and vindication from the Lord when under attack or wronged.

2) That we would seek comfort from the Lord in the midst of our turmoil.

3) That we would be grateful for God’s daily provision. Even when no one is seeking our life, every day we wake up is from the hand of the Lord.

No comments: